Monday, August 1, 2011

"It's the government's fault"

Have you ever seen the movie "Faith Like Potatoes"? It is not the greatest movie - however, I strongly recommend it. It is set in Southern Africa. A Scottish man and his family were farmers there. Then he becomes a Christian. Many things happen that are very touchy but I won't tell you so that you watch the movie. However, I mention this movie because of one particular message. It is used in the movie directly from the Bible:

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land." 2 Chr. 7:14 (emphasis added).

Ever since I watched that movie I've had that verse in  my mind. Not that I did not know about it, but today more ever it should be a reality in our lives. In my life.
We are very quick to critizise and complain. When it is about politicians and presidents we always have something to say. Not necessarily positive. God commands us to respect our authorities:

"Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves." Rom. 13:1-2

Now, most of us have no problems following the law and being a good citizen. However, It goes farther than stopping at a red light. Timothy encourages us to pray for our authorities:

"I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— 2 for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. 3 This is good, and pleases God our Savior," Tim. 2:1-3 (emphasis added)

YES! this includes that governor that you don't like. YES, it includes the president and everyone in office. YES, it includes every person holding some sort of authority in the country. We need to pray for our countries. We need to humble ourselves and pray for wisdom and humble hearts for our authorities. I titled this post "It's the government's fault" because that is what we say when we complain and critizise what they do. However, I believe that now, more than ever the phrase should say "It's OUR fault". Why? because how many times do we pray for our president? how many times do we give thanks for our brave firemen or policemen? how many times do we ask for wisdom for our congressmen? Or even pray for the guys at the DMV? (I know, they are always rude!).

You may pray for them to pass a bill that you agree with. You may pray for them to be recalled. However, that is not the prayer God is waiting for. Pray for their safety. Pray for God's wisdom in making decisions. Pray for justice to be done. Pray for forgiveness. Pray for them to seek after the country's long lasting well being, not just a momentary solution that fills their pockets with our money. Pray for real freedom. Pray for a country that glorifies God. Pray for things that matter. Things that will last. Finally, pray for God's grace and mercy and blessing to be with us.

Lets humble ourselves and pray for God to heal our land. Lets pray for our authorities.
F.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment