Thursday, May 19, 2011

End of another School Semester

Finally, the semester is over!...oh wait, not yet for me. I still have that on-line class for ESL. Oh brother!! Anyway, at least now I can focus only on that class. Hopefully I will get it done by next week.

This semester was long, and although I feel like I did not get much out of my academical experience, the little I did was good. I took two classes in Spanish. It was a joke at times, but I did learn a few things. One was on Business and the other on Spanish civilization history. In both I basically learned new vocabulary, mostly words used in Spain and business vocab that I do not use very often. Other than that, I already knew most of what was taught.
One thing I did learn is that a lot of students graduate with a Spanish major/minor and they really do not speak Spanish at all. That was kind of sad. I think the foreign language department has a lot to improve. But I guess it can't be all the teacher's fault. The students probably did not practice enough or made an effort to learn the language. The university offers lost of opportunities to practice a foreign language. Come on! there are MANY foreign students on campus. If Americans don't learn other languages very well (as they should if it is the major/minor) it is because they simply don't want to. As a non-native speaker of English, I love it when people come and ask me about Spanish and want to learn or practice with me. I am more than willing to do it. So I hope that I can continue to spot people that need more practice. I am always offering my help, but they never get back to me. I'm sorry but I can't force them to practice with me if they don't want to.

On another note, my Religious class was FABULOUS!  I loved it. As a Christian I believe it is crucial to learn about other religions. This will give us a better understanding of the people we deal with, why they believe in what they do and how we can share the gospel with them in ways that they can understand us. We studied Hinduism and Buddhism. Some amazing stuff there. They both have many branches, pretty much like Christianity does (Catholics, Protestants, Baptist, Lutheran, etc). They also have looooooots of rituals and teachers, and are all over the world. I thought it was interesting  that my teacher always said this phrase: "For religion to survive, it needs to change". Implying that in order for different cultures to accept the new "religion" they needed to change it and add or eliminate some aspect of it. Whether it was a particular ritual (or all of them), a believe (like if there is a heaven or not), or the way to "get there" (either through meditation, devotion, discipline, or what not). I have not completely wrapped my mind around that thought yet. My impulse thought was that it was not true. Religion does not need to change in order to survive. God is one, and he is the same yesterday, today, tomorrow and for all eternity. However, when I look at the different branches of Christianity, I guess I can understand why she said that. What do you think? I may dedicate another entry just for this topic. Sounds like fun!

My other class was World History until the 1500's. As much as I love history, I just can't memorize all the dates and names of all the emperors and all the languages and all the peoples and all the governments and ...and...and...and the enormous amount of information that they pour on me in only 4 months! I mean, come on! I took 5 classes (6 with the online one!). I guess though that I chose to, so it was fault. Anyway, this class although it took the most out of my little brain, was fun as well. I loved learning about the mongols and the franks. Those were my favorites together with Sparta. (THIS IS SPARTA!!!! hahahaha, awesome!).

This is a footprint from Schmeeckle 
Finally, my last class was First Year Seminar. A class given for the first time this semester, designed for freshmen and sophomores. A complete waste of time and money. At least for me, and some of my classmates. It is supposed to help you decide or have a better idea of what  you want to major in, and how to pursue the career you want. I already know all that. However, it did help me start thinking about more seriously. Since it covers the Environmental Literacy, we had to go to Schmeeckle many times, as well as read poems about nature and reflect on everything we did. It also covered humanities, but I am not sure what accounted for what. Anyway, I do not recommend it. Nevertheless, I believe it will be mandatory in the future! HA! poor you, new comers! I mean, it was fun at times, and kind of relaxing, but the work load was way too much for what we were doing in the class. The class is also designed to help you get around the school, know where everything is and what school has to offer. I think I did learn something new there, but I can't remember what since I knew most of it. I just felt that I could have invested all my time and effort in another class (maybe History!). The teacher was a sweetheart though. In spite of feeling that she treated us like elementary school kids, I loved her. Feel free to ask me more about this class if you need to.

Well, that was my semester. I made a few friends. Or better said acquaintances. I had fun with most of my classes, and I grew closer to my husband! :P how does that fit in with the school semester? well, I live with him, right? ha! He was very supportive all along and help me stay on top of my studies.  Next semester will be my turn to do the same for him. :)









No comments:

Post a Comment