Monday, May 30, 2011

Does Prayer help?

I came across a blog of a mormon family. Under one of their postings a girl asked if prayer helped. She mentioned that she used to believe in God, but did not anymore because prayer did not help. I would like to answer her question (does prayer help?) with a blog.

God tells us many times in the bible that if we ask we will receive. He promises to provide for us. Even the authors of books write prayers asking God to not forget about them, to answer soon. We even find Jesus praying (that is what he did every night!). But we often forget that God's answers to our prayers will be according to his will for us. That they will have God's great intentions and plans for our lives. The answer will not necessarily be in the way, shape or form that WE want it. God is not impulsive. He is not careless or irresponsible. He will not just answer for the sake of answering and getting us off his back. He will never give us something that he knows is not the best for us. He will never give us something that will cause harm, hurt or separation from him. Another thing is that God's answer may not only be a YES or a No, it may also be a WAIT. That means it may be a yes, but not yet. The Lord's timing is different than ours. He sees the big picture. We don't. The Lord knows our heart better than we do. He knows our intentions, he knows our desires, he knows our dreams, he knows what bother us, he knows what we cry for at night, he knows what bring us joy.

The LORD says:"For I know the plans I have for  you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you" declares the Lord, "and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you,"declares the Lord, "and will bring  you back to the place from which I carried you into exile."



He always answers. Prayer always helps. It may not be in the way we want it to, but it always does. I guess it is important to understand that God is not a ATM machine that gives you what you want when you want it. He is not Santa Claus that only gives us presents when we are "good kids" (there is no "good" man in this world). He is not a genie in a bottle that will grant us every single selfish desire that we have. He may even say no to the most "noble" prayers that we can say. Because God is not after nobility or humbleness, not even sacrifice! He is after obedience and trust! trust that He is God the Almighty! trust that He is your Joy! trust that He knows best! Obedience in following Jesus' words, Obedience in living a life according to his will. Obedience in prayer, worship, fellowship with other Christians, service, loving him first, your neighbor second. Obedience in seeking him, longing to know him more everyday. Prayer always helps. It helps in ways that go beyond our understanding, but if we obey and trust, we will see the hand of God working in our lives in wonderful ways.


Prayer is more powerful that we think. Even us Christians forget the power of prayer. I believe prayer helps and I believe it is even better when you are not alone. "For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them." Mat. 18:20. That doesn't mean that he is not present when you pray by yourself, however God is all about unity and fellowship. That is why we have a relationship with Christ, it is not just a segregated religion. He encourages us to help each other. "Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!" Ecclesiastes 4:9-10. Prayer always helps.


Love,
Flor.

2 comments:

  1. I have nothing against what you're saying or the idea of God and prayer. But don't you mind that he's controlling every aspect of your life? I turn to God for guidance, but not for orders. To let Him decide what's going to happen in your life seems meek. Don't you like freedom to choose?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have freedom to choose. I chose to let him lead me. If God is not in control of my life, somebody else is. Just think about it - government, parents, friends, society. There is always somebody telling us what to do. I rather have God lead me than men. Plus, it is a relationship of love, He is not a crazy dictator giving orders as he pleases. At least it doesn't seem like it to me. He leads with love and knows what's best for me.
    I don't think meekness is a bad thing, as long as we have the right to choose and give our opinion. With God, I can do both. You may disagree with it, and that is OK.

    ReplyDelete